I am relatively new to book reviewing. I enjoy it because it forces me to read books carefully and closely to consider their structure and content, and how the authors get their meaning across. I enjoy sharing my thoughts about books with readers, and engaging with those readers on social media.
- Terry Tempest Williams’s Erosion: Essays of Undoing. Terrain.org, 28 Jun 2020.
- Sharon Wood’s book “Rising” is a reflection of her 1986 ascent of Chomolungma (Everest) and a male-dominated culture then and now. Alpinist Magazine, 3 Apr 2020.
- Finding Our Way: The Science of Wayfinding. Minding Nature, Winter 2020, Volume 13, Number 1.
- Preserving Our Urban and Rural Wilds for the Next Generation. Earth Island Journal, 3 Jan 2020.
- Women’s Anger in the Trump Era. Chicago Review of Books, 25 Nov 2019.
- David Guterson’s book “Turn Around Time” applies mountaineering themes to youth, aging. Alpinist Magazine, 11 Oct 2019.
- Shaped By Snow: Defending the Future of Winter. Backcountry Magazine, 17 Sep 2019.
- The Uninhabitable Earth: Life After Warming.Terrain.org, 27 June 2019.
- Mountaineering in Reverse: Tales from the Underland. Alpinist Magazine, 21 June 2019.
- Exploring the Uneasy Coexistence of Bears and Humans. Outside Magazine, 16 April 2019.
- Working with Rejection: John McNally’s The Promise of Failure. LA Review of Books. 6 Apr 2019.
- Instead of Climaxing, Novels Should ‘Meander Spiral Explode’. Chicago Review of Books, 3 Apr 2019.
- 6 Essential Texts of Climate Change Written By Women. Literary Hub, 4 Jan 2019.
- Even as extinction looms for her subjects, an ecologist maintains hope for a better future. Science, 20 Nov 2018.
- Building an inclusive academy – one generation at a time. LA Review of Books, 4 Nov 2018.
- Time to take sexism in post-secondary education seriously. LA Review of Books, 27 Jul 2018.
- Recognizing their role in maintaining healthy watersheds, “beaver believers” work to rehab the rodent’s reputation. Science, 23 Jul 2018.
- Book Review: Firestorm, by Ed Struzik. Genome Alberta Genomics Blog, 14 May 2018.
- Women Writing the West: 6 Nonfiction Writers You Should Know. Literary Hub, 28 Mar 2018.
- A researcher collects accounts of scientists’ first inklings that the Arctic was in trouble. Science 359 (6382), pp. 1340; 23 Mar 2018. doi: 10.1126/science.aas9815.
- Science and mystery of freshwater mussels. Water Canada, Nov/Dec 2017.
- The Science Writers’ Handbook, by the Writers of SciLance. Canadian Science Publishing, 24 Oct 2017.
- Science Blogging: The Essential Guide, edited by Christie Wilcox, Bethany Brookshire, and Jason G. Goldman. Canadian Science Publishing, 9 Aug 2017.
- Lab Girl, by Hope Jahren. Canadian Science Publishing, 23 May 2017.
- Citizen Scientist: Searching for Heroes and Hope in an Age of Extinction, by Mary Ellen Hannibal. Canadian Science Publishing, 16 Mar 2017.
- The Scientist’s Guide to Writing, by Stephen B. Heard. Canadian Science Publishing, 14 Jun 2016.