Much of my writing centres on the environment, given my environmental science/physical geography background. I am particularly interested in watershed processes like drought/floods and wildfire, and also forest management and water supplies from mountainous regions. I have written both magazine articles and edited white papers about environmental issues.
- Small Gestures. City Creatures Blog of the Center for Humans & Nature. 5 Feb 2019.
- Good Neighbours. Nature Conservancy of Canada, Summer 2018.
- Safety Net: Canada coordinates its efforts to managing flood risk. Water Canada Magazine, May/Jun 2018, p. 14-16.
- Reconnecting Fish Habitat Starts With Good Data Management. BC Forest Professional Magazine, May/June 2017, p. 26-27.
- A Pumping Plan to Elude Drought. Hakai Magazine, 26 Oct 2016.
- On Vancouver Island, Summer Droughts are the New Normal. CBC The Nature of Things, 20 Oct 2016.
- Northern Alberta Wildfires. Science Borealis, 4 May 2016.
- Working With Sea Level Rise, Not Against It. Science Borealis, 18 Apr 2016.
- Are Fossil Fuels Really Worth It? Science Borealis, 18 Jan 2016.
- Restoration of Fish Passage on Elbow Creek, Southwestern BC. BC Forest Professional Magazine, Jan/Feb 2016.
- Happy Earth Science Week! Science Borealis, 13 Oct 2015.
- Water Problems in Water-Rich Canada. Science Borealis, 14 Jul 2015.
- Beyond the Boardwalk at the Garry Oak Preserve. Nature Conservancy of Canada, 4 Jun 2015.
- Remediation of Fish Passage at Stream Crossings on BC Forest Roads. BC Forest Professional Magazine, May/Jun 2015.
- It’s Earth Week! Have You Thought About Our Oceans Lately? Science Borealis, 20 Apr 2015.
- Soil: So Much More Than Just Dirt. Science Borealis, 26 Jan 2015.
- National Forest Week and the Misconception of Deforestation. Science Borealis, 6 Oct 2014.
- Rewilding and You. Canadian Science Writers’ Association, 6 Aug 2014.
- Challenge Accepted: Science in the Northern Gateway Pipeline Process. Science Borealis, 14 Jul 2014.
- It’s not just about the fish… Canadian Science Publishing, 20 Feb 2014.
- The Boreal Forest, Antarctica and Geophysics, Oh My! Science Borealis, 27 Jan 2014.
- An ‘abundance’ of bears: Aglukkaq cold-shoulders the science. iPolitics Opinion, 28 Oct 2013.
- Wildfire woes don’t end when the smoke clears. Al Jazeera English, 27 Aug 2013.
- Science as a jigsaw puzzle: Piecing together the picture on tidewater glaciers. Canadian Science Writers’ Association, 18 Jul 2013.
- Water, water everywhere: Will storms and floods like this become the new normal? Rabble.ca, 26 Jun 2013.
- What’s behind that money shot? The hidden impacts of disappearing glaciers. Canadian Science Writers’ Association, 2 Apr 2013.
2012 and earlier
- Under the Crowsnest Canopy. Outpost Magazine. May/Jun 2012.
- Show and Tell With Sea Ice. CH2MHill Field Notes newsletter, Jul 2007.
- On the Cutting Edge at Summit Station. CH2MHill Field Notes newsletter, Jun 2007.
- Faces of IPY: The Celebrity Glaciologist. CH2MHill Field Notes newsletter, May 2007.
- Studying Sea Ice with the Sea Goddess. CH2MHill Field Notes newsletter, Apr 2007.
- Studying Glaciers: An Initiation to the North. Above & Beyond Magazine, Jul/Aug 2004.
- The altered state of field research: Summer researchers dodge bears, side-step crevasses, long for indoor plumbing. UAlberta Folio, 17 Apr 2003.
- Study tracks collective effects of industry: First-of-its-kind research predicts enormous changes. UAlberta Folio, 17 Apr 2003.